Arriving in Lithuania
Upon arrival in Lithuania, Ukrainian citizens must register in the Registration Centre (Pramonės g. 1B, Alytus, the address may change). Only in-person registration is possible.
Documents needed: any document that can prove one’s identity will suffice. Ukrainian citizens are exempt from the requirement to provide travel documents, health insurance, or other relevant documents proving their lawful entrance to Lithuania if they are unable to do so for objective reasons. There are no translation requirements.
Ukrainian citizens without an identity document will still be able to enter Lithuania. They will be issued an alien’s registration certificate.
All migration procedures for Ukrainian citizens are free of charge.
Ukrainian nationals are exempt from the requirement to be in possession of a visa for stays of no more than 90 days in any 180-day period, however, it is highly recommended to apply for a national visa or a temporary residence permit immediately upon arrival.
Ukrainian citizens will be able to fill out a questionnaire in the Registration Centre. The answers will determine whether a person is eligible for a visa or a temporary residency permit.
- Ukrainian citizens with biometric passports can apply for either a national visa available for the period of one year or a temporary residence permit for the period of one year.
- Ukrainian citizens without biometric passports can only apply for a temporary residence permit for the period of one year.
No return or expulsion decisions will be taken in respect of Ukrainian nationals and their family members. Ukrainian citizens who currently reside in Lithuania illegally can apply for a national visa or a temporary residency permit.
Temporary accommodation options:
Ukrainian citizens who do not have a place of residence will be provided with temporary accommodation.
- During the migration procedures Ukrainian citizens will be able to stay in the Alytus Registration Centre for up to 72 hours;
- Temporary accommodation supplied by the Lithuanian municipalities (up to 11.000 places of temporary accommodation currently offered);
- Temporary accommodation supplied by the non-governmental initiative “Stiprūs kartu” (in the places of residence registered by the Lithuanian citizens. It is expected that around 10.000 Ukrainian citizens will be able to use this option);
- Temporary accommodation options such as hotels, airbnb.com, booking.com, and other housing services.
Rights granted by the visa or the temporary residence permit:
Ukrainian citizens with either a visa or a temporary residence permit are eligible to:
- Receive free urgent basic medical aid;
- Immediately start working in Lithuania without a work permit;
- Declaring a place of residence;
- Opening a bank account;
- Continuing education in Lithuanian schools;
- And other.
- Questions regarding migration, visas, temporary residence permits, and temporary accommodation are overlooked by the Migration Department under the Ministry of the Interior of the Republic of Lithuania. Urgent questions can be answered through a special hotline (+37052717112) every day from 7:30 until 21:00.
- Various questions regarding housing, education, and other similar matters after relocation to one of the Lithuanian municipalities are overlooked by those specific municipalities.
- Questions regarding employment are overlooked by the Employment Service Under the Ministry of Social Security and Labour of the Republic of Lithuania.
- Questions regarding health insurance are overlooked by the National Health Insurance Fund under the Ministry of Health.
- Consultations and services regarding residence permits, health and social insurance, employment, and other questions are also provided by „International House Vilnius“.